1) Explore the East Village / Bowery etc.
– have a look at the Cooper Union – interesting architecture
– stop at The Bowery for fireside drinks
– and Death & Co for speakeasy cocktails
– and Backroom is on my list for when I’m next in town – and there are plenty more. A bit further south near Wall Street there’s Dead Rabbit which is also fun – and should have $1 oysters at happy hour.
2) Hang with the Hipsters
3) Browse some great bookshops
4) Grand Central Station grandeur
– For the architecture… and arguably the food, although, just hopping to Copenhagen might be easier in some ways… but as you’re going to NYC anyway.
Smalls on 183 West 10th Street is wonderful.